Book*hug Press is a Canadian independent literary publisher working at the forefront of contemporary book culture. We specialize in contemporary literary fiction, narrative nonfiction, poetry, and literature in translation. Please note that we do not publish children’s literature, genre fiction, cookbooks, or self-help books.
We seek to acquire bold, innovative and engaging books. We are most interested in writing that takes risks and challenges and pushes the boundaries of cultural expectations. Book*hug Press is deeply committed to building a more equitable and inclusive publishing landscape by amplifying culturally diverse voices whose work has been historically underrepresented and to producing born accessible editions of our titles.
When acquiring manuscripts, we carefully consider questions such as: who are the storytellers that we need most right now? We aim to ensure that our catalogue is reflective of a diverse and inclusive Canada. We especially welcome work by IBPOC writers, LGBTQIA2S+ writers, deaf and disabled writers, and women. To best understand the work we are looking for we encourage you to browse our complete catalogue and/or read a few of our books.
What to send us:
Please do not send us your full manuscript. Instead, please send us a package that includes a detailed synopsis, along with a sample of writing (see below for more information). We will review your submission and let you know if we are interested in seeing the full manuscript.
Literary Fiction and Narrative Nonfiction Submissions: Along with a detailed synopsis of the project, please include a sample of two or three chapters. If available, please also include a proposed table of contents.
Poetry Submissions: We are not currently accepting unsolicited* poetry submissions. We will update this page when poetry submissions open again.
*Please note: If you have previously published a book with us, you are welcome to email us directly regarding poetry submissions.
Please submit your package to us using the Book*hug Press Submission Portal (click here).
Additional information regarding submissions:
- Ensure that your name, address, and email are included with your package.
- Ensure that your submission is double-spaced and includes pagination. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry submissions.
- Please include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
- Tell us if it is a multiple submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from us, please ensure that you contact us to inform us of this immediately so that we can remove your proposal from the pile. This courtesy saves everyone a lot of time.
- We are a small team and we receive hundreds of manuscripts for consideration each year. We publish approximately 16-20 carefully chosen books each year, 8-10 titles per season (spring and fall) in a variety of genres. We do our very best to give your manuscript the proper attention and strive to respond to your submission within 6-8 months of receipt. We appreciate your patience and ask that you not call or email us to check on the status of your proposal.