Book*hug is an independent literary trade publisher specializing in contemporary literary fiction, literary nonfiction, poetry, literature in translation, and drama. Please note that we do not publish children’s literature, genre fiction, cookbooks, or self-help books.
We seek to acquire books that are bold, innovative and take risks; work that feels necessary and urgent. We believe in writing that challenges and pushes at the boundaries of cultural expectations. We are deeply committed to building a more inclusive CanLit by publishing culturally diverse voices whose work has been historically underrepresented in the publishing landscape. We strongly support feminist writing.
When acquiring manuscripts we carefully consider questions such as: whose voices are missing and who are the storytellers that we need most right now? We aim to ensure ensure that our catalogue is reflective of an inclusive and multicultural Canada. We especially welcome work by Indigenous writers, writers of colour, LGBTQ2S+ writers, deaf and disabled writers, and women.
MAIL ALL MANUSCRIPTS TO
260 Ryding Avenue
M6N 1H5 Canada
For queries, email email@example.com
Our Fiction Editor is Malcolm Sutton.
Read an interview with Malcolm Sutton about what he looks for in a fiction manuscript here.
Our Editor for The Essais Series is Julie Joosten.
Read an announcement about The Essais Series here.
Some general information regarding submissions:
- Ensure that your name, address, phone number and email are on the manuscript
- Please include an introductory letter that describes your work and in which you compare your work to two other Book*hug titles or authors.
- Ensure that your manuscript is typed, double-spaced with single-sided pages. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry manuscripts.
- Please include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
- If you are mailing a submission and would like your manuscript back, please enclose a large enough self-addressed envelope with sufficient pre-paid postage. If you don’t want your manuscript returned, please include a note giving us permission to recycle or destroy it if we aren’t interested in it.
- Make sure to tell us if it is a multiple submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from us, please ensure that you contact us to inform us of this immediately so that we can remove your proposal from the pile. This courtesy saves everyone a lot of time.
- We receive hundreds of manuscripts for consideration each year. We publish between 20-24 books a year, 10-12 titles per season (spring and fall) in a variety of genres. We do our very best to give your manuscript the proper attention. We appreciate you being patient, so please do not call or email us to check on the status of your proposal. If all goes well you should hear back from us about your manuscript in approximately 6 months.