Book*hug Press is a Canadian independent literary publisher working at the forefront of contemporary book culture. We specialize in bold and exciting literary fiction, narrative nonfiction, poetry, and literature in translation. We champion emerging established writers whose work meaningfully contributes to and reflects contemporary culture and society, books that challenge and push the boundaries of cultural expectations. Please note that we do not publish children’s literature, genre fiction, cookbooks, textbooks, or self-help books.
We seek to acquire bold, innovative and engaging books. We are most interested in writing that takes risks and challenges and pushes the boundaries of cultural expectations. Book*hug Press is deeply committed to building a more equitable and inclusive publishing landscape by amplifying culturally diverse voices whose work has been historically underrepresented and producing born accessible editions of our titles.
When acquiring manuscripts, we carefully consider questions such as: who are the storytellers we need most right now? We aim to ensure that our catalogue reflects a diverse and inclusive Canada. We especially welcome work by BIPOC writers, LGBTQIA2S+ writers, Deaf and disabled writers, and women. To best understand the type of work we are looking for, we encourage you to browse our complete catalogue and read a few of our books.
What to send us:
Please do not send us your full manuscript. Instead, please send us a package that includes a detailed synopsis, along with a sample of writing (see below for more information). You will need to combine all required materials into a single document or PDF in order to submit them. We will review your submission and let you know if we are interested in seeing the full manuscript.
Literary Fiction and Nonfiction Submissions: Along with a detailed synopsis of the project, please include a sample of three to five chapters. If available, please also include a proposed table of contents.
Poetry Submissions: Along with a detailed synopsis of the project, please include a sample of up to ten poems. If available, please also include a table of contents.
Please submit your package to us using the Book*hug Press Submission Portal (click here).
Additional information regarding submissions:
- Ensure that your name, address, and email are included with your package.
- Ensure that your submission is double-spaced and includes pagination. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry submissions. You will need to combine all materials required for your submission into a single document or PDF.
- Please include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
- Tell us if it is a multiple submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from us, please ensure that you contact us to inform us of this immediately so that we can remove your proposal from the pile. This courtesy saves everyone a lot of time.
- We are a small team and we receive approximately 500+ manuscripts for consideration each year. We publish approximately 16-20 carefully chosen books each year in a variety of genres. We do our very best to give your manuscript the proper attention and strive to respond to your submission within 6-8 months of receipt. We appreciate your patience and ask that you not call or email us to check on the status of your proposal.