Book*hug Press is an independent Canadian literary publisher specializing in contemporary literary fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, literature in translation, and drama. Please note that we do not publish children’s literature, genre fiction, cookbooks, or self-help books.
We seek to acquire books that are bold, contemporary and innovative; work that is necessary and urgent. We are especially interested in work that challenges and pushes at the boundaries of cultural expectations. We are deeply committed to publishing culturally diverse voices whose work has been historically underrepresented in the publishing landscape. We strongly support feminist writing.
When acquiring manuscripts we carefully consider questions such as: who are the storytellers that we need most right now? We aim to ensure that our catalogue is reflective of a diverse and inclusive Canada. We especially welcome work by IBPOC writers, LGBTQIA2S+ writers, deaf and disabled writers, and women. To best understand the work we are looking for we encourage you to browse our complete catalogue and/or to read a few of our books.
What to send us:
Please do not send us your full manuscript. Instead, please send us a query that includes a detailed synopsis, along with a sample of writing (see below for more information). We will review your query submission and let you know if we are interested in seeing the full manuscript.
For Literary Fiction and Creative Nonfiction Submissions: Along with a detailed synopsis of the project, please include a sample of two or three chapters. If available, please also include a proposed table of contents.
Poetry: We are not currently accepting unsolicited poetry submissions. We will update this page when submissions open again. Please note: If you have previously published a book with us, you are welcome to email us directly regarding poetry submissions.
Send all submission queries by email to: email@example.com.
Additional information regarding submissions:
- Ensure that your name, address, and email are included with your query.
- Ensure that your submission is double-spaced and includes pagination. Double spacing is not necessary for poetry submissions.
- Please include a literary CV that lists your publication history.
- Tell us if it is a multiple submission. If your manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere prior to hearing back from us, please ensure that you contact us to inform us of this immediately so that we can remove your proposal from the pile. This courtesy saves everyone a lot of time.
- We receive hundreds of manuscripts for consideration each year. We publish approximately 20 books a year, 9-10 titles per season (spring and fall) in a variety of genres. We do our very best to give your manuscript the proper attention. We appreciate you being patient, so please do not call or email us to check on the status of your proposal. If all goes well you should hear back from us about your manuscript in approximately 6 months.